How To Choose A Divorce Mediator
QUESTIONS TO ASK WHEN CHOOSING A FAMILY LAW MEDIATOR
- What education and training does the mediator have in mediation and family law?
- How long has the mediator been mediating, and is the mediator an attorney?
- Does the mediator offer a free consultation to answer your questions?
- Does the mediator offer written materials to help you understand the process?
- How much will the mediation cost, and how are you expected to pay? If a fixed fee is being charged, are there any other costs that can be added on?
- How you will get enough information to make good decisions about your issues?
- What information will the mediator provide about the issues in your case?
- Does the mediator recommend that you have the assistance of your own lawyer during the process, and how does that work?
- If someone such as an appraiser, accountant, or business valuator is needed, how are these experts chosen?
- Do you have to prepare your own legal paperwork to start and finish the divorce?
- Who will prepare the agreement and how does that become an official record in your divorce case?